Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Monday, May 22, 2017
This concept is taken from Just Bento's miso soup balls, but involves slightly different ingredients.
I had some leftover rice pilaf, but wasn't in the mood to have it as a side again, so I made it into a soup (just add boiling water and stir). Here's how:
1. I sauteed finely chopped celery, onions, and carrots in vegan butter (Earth Balance).
2. I added a handful of bits of Beyond Chicken strips from my freezer and cooked those until they seemed done (I still don't fully understand when vegan meat is "done")
3. I added the rice and mixed everything all up
4. I put all this in the bottom of the bowl, then sprinkled with the green tops of chopped scallions
5. I added a tiny cup of Better than Bouillon to put in the broth later (If you haven't tried the "Not Chicken" flavor you should--I like it better than I used to like their actual chicken flavors)
6. At work, I added boiling water and stirred, then let it sit to warm up
It worked reasonably well and was at least as warm as soup in my insulated jar usually is.
And also there were apple slices.
Saturday, May 20, 2017
Friday, May 19, 2017
This was meant to be a wrap but I didn't want the falafel to get soggy, so I packed it ready to assemble. It worked out really well.
The falafel was from the kosher frozen section. The kosher part of the store has become my transition-to-vegan secret weapon. It's not kosher to mix meat with dairy, which means you find a whole heck of a lot less hidden dairy over there. Plus, because kosher meat is so expensive, there are a lot of mock meat type things and plant-based protein sources, too. This lunch is entirely (and incidentally) vegan.
Thursday, May 18, 2017
I had these seafood dumplings in my freezer and I have been reluctant to eat them, which is weird for a variety of reasons. So today was the day. In they went in this random recycled container (which you've seen twice this week, bewilderingly!) with a cup of homemade dipping sauce and a simple cucumber salad (cucumbers, rice vinegar, black sesame seeds).
If you're cutting down on meat, etc., you might want to consider the black sesame seeds sometimes. They are a reasonably good source of iron, compared to white sesame seeds.
Wednesday, May 17, 2017
This is also an entirely vegan lunch. I have found mashed potatoes with soy milk works out best, if you're keeping score. I tried them with oat milk once and that was a really big mistake.
The Boca chick'n patties are much better than they used to be. I like the spicy ones.
Tuesday, May 16, 2017
This one is altogether vegan. I'm giving brand names so you know what I'm getting, not because they have anything to do with the blog. (Not enough of you read this for that anyway.) But I was super excited to find a vegan pizza anything that wasn't gluten free. I want the gluten! Just not the dairy or meat. These tasted about like cheap frozen pizza did, from what I remember, and really hit the spot.
Just Ranch, from Hampton Creek, is one of the things that makes me happy I live in a vegan-friendly area, because as you can tell (I'm sure) ranch is a favorite flavor for me.
The Bac'n pieces are incidentally vegan. I am sure I have mentioned this before at some point.